Did history get the wrong date for 79 Vesuvius eruption?
Add Reply
Horace LaBadie
2018-10-25 19:48:35 UTC
A charcoal inscription on a house wall suggests that the final
destructive eruption that buried Pompeii occurred in October 79 rather
than August.

<https://phys.org/news/2018-10-pompeii-evidence-rewrites-vesuvius-eruptio
n.html#nRlv>

"A newly-discovered inscription at Pompeii proves the city was destroyed
by Mount Vesuvius after October 17, 79 AD and not on August 24 as
previously thought, archeologists said Tuesday.

Archeologists recently discovered that a worker had inscribed the date
of "the 16th day before the calends of November", meaning October 17, on
a house at Pompeii, the head of archeology at the site, Massimo Osanna,
told Italian media.

Pompeii and Herculaneum were previously thought to have been destroyed
by the massive eruption of Mount Vesuvius on August 24, based on
contemporary writings and archeological finds.

Nevertheless, evidence such as autumnal fruits on branches found in the
ashen ruins had suggested a later date since the 19th century, Osanna
said.

"Today, with much humility, perhaps we will rewrite the history books
because we date the eruption to the second half of October," said
Italy's Minister of Culture Alberto Bonisoli."
George
2018-10-25 22:34:43 UTC
On Thu, 25 Oct 2018 15:48:35 -0400
Post by Horace LaBadie
[...]
The witnesses to the eruption were wrong then ???
The Plinys certainly recorded the event

---
Horace LaBadie
2018-10-25 23:16:20 UTC
Post by Horace LaBadie
[...]
THe Elder died in it, and the Younger didn't write about until thirty
years later.

The obvious explanation is that there was a series of eruptions in 79,
with one later in the year that buried the site of the latest find
completely after October.
JTEM
2018-10-25 23:37:16 UTC
Post by George
The witnesses to the eruption were wrong then ???
The Plinys certainly recorded the event
There's no original works remaining, translators
often "Translated" dates from calendar to calendar,
as you are witnessing in this thread, and it's not
like ancient Rome was the most literate of cultures
in the first place.

-- --

http://jtem.tumblr.com/post/179431421373