New DNA analysis shows Clovis spread and replacement
Horace LaBadie
2018-11-08 23:03:00 UTC
Clovis people spread into Central and South America at least 11,000
years ago, but were replaced by 9,000 ya.

<https://phys.org/news/2018-11-ancient-dna-analysis-yields-unexpected.htm
l>

"A key discovery was that a Clovis culture-associated individual from
North America dating to around 12,800 years ago shares distinctive
ancestry with the oldest Chilean, Brazilian and Belizean individuals,"
said co-lead author Cosimo Posth of the Max Planck Institute for the
Science of Human History. "This supports the hypothesis that the
expansion of people who spread the Clovis culture in North America also
reached Central and South America."

However, the Clovis culture-associated lineage is missing in present-day
South Americans and in ancient samples that are less than 9,000 years
old.

"This is our second key discovery," said co-senior author David Reich,
professor of genetics at Harvard Medical School and a Howard Hughes
Medical Institute investigator. "We have shown that there was a
continent-wide population replacement that began at least 9,000 years
ago."
JTEM
2018-11-09 15:18:15 UTC
Post by Horace LaBadie
However, the Clovis culture-associated lineage is missing in present-day
South Americans and in ancient samples that are less than 9,000 years
old.
So what does this tell you about pre Clovis, whom we
all know existed?

-- --

http://jtem.tumblr.com/post/179900170758