The Age of Atlantis - Were the Azores Atlantis ??
j***@gmail.com
2017-04-26 16:31:50 UTC
The catastrophe would be a supervolcanic eruption on the floor of the Atlantic Ocean. This eruption would have caused the Azores plateau to drop into the caldera. Sine it happened on the ocean floor, the eruption might only be visible as floating pumice that would all sink and be dis placed by ocean currents as the change in ocean currents caused the ice age to end. The melting of the glaciers worldwide would cause weather cycles to change and a 200 -300 ft rise in sea levels causing a diplacement of civilization.
d***@gmail.com
2017-04-26 17:56:49 UTC
Atlantis was Crimea and nearby, flooded during an Atlantic marine incursion 7.7ka. Most of Plato's story was fiction, but the root was real. Alans & Aryans - remnants.

The confluence of the 4 rivers DaNube, DNieper, DNiester & DoNetz was original source of the garden of eDeN legend brought to the Levant.

eden.adan(Spanish:adam-land)
Franz Gnaedinger
2017-04-27 06:59:59 UTC
Subject: The Age of Atlantis - Were the Azores Atlantis ??
My Paleolinguistic studies of a dozen years led me to the conclusion
that 'Atlantis' was an oral epic of Central Asia, by the bards of miner
tribes working in the Alai Mountains where copper and tin were and still
are associated in the same mines, original title AD LAS, toward AD
mountain LAS, naming Eurasia oriented toward AD the central world mountain
LAS. Once the world had been an island around the world mountain, then
Zeus residing on top of the mountain released a flood, whereupon the
mountain fell apart into various ranges. Fragments of the oral epic would
survive in the oldest layers of Greek mythology. More on demand.
d***@gmail.com
2017-04-30 13:41:48 UTC
The pillars of Hercules were the Bosphorus Straits, the size of Atlantis referred to the coastal periphery of the Black Sea (not to the size of any island within it: Yam in Mongolian means intercoastal and in Hebrew Yam means bound water). I've never heard of LAS mountain, what language is it from? In Aztec, water is atl, which I think links to ladel as lift water, in Arabic Shaduof, in Dutch loftspatl.
Franz Gnaedinger
2017-05-02 07:31:50 UTC
Post by d***@gmail.com
The pillars of Hercules were the Bosphorus Straits, the size of Atlantis referred to the coastal periphery of the Black Sea (not to the size of any island within it: Yam in Mongolian means intercoastal and in Hebrew Yam means bound water). I've never heard of LAS mountain, what language is it from? In Aztec, water is atl, which I think links to ladel as lift water, in Arabic Shaduof, in Dutch loftspatl.
Eberhard Zangger reads atl- 'swift water' which suits the Dardanelles.
Remember that he located Atlantis in Troy. In my opinion the blind seer
Daemodokos 'teacher of people' in Homer's Odyssey might be a reference
to the authors of the hypothetical oral epic from the beginning of the
Bronze Age. All the confusion about Atlantis might have its origin between
the poetry (oral epic) and reality (Eurasia the time of the Bronze Age
and a vision of the world's origin). The world as an isalnd around the
central world mountain occurs in many mythologies. It was destroyed by
the Flood; remains are the mountain ranges we see nowadays, especially
the very long mountain range from the Cordilleras in Northern Spain
via the Alps to the Himalayas, a long bar in early world maps, for example
Hekataios, while the Atlantic Ocean surrounds the world island broken up
into several parts while the overall round form can still be imagined.
So: any place can have been Atlantis, and none was Atlantis exclusively.
d***@gmail.com
2017-05-02 13:13:48 UTC
Thanks. I disagree with your conclusion that Plato's Atlantis could be anywhere, since it was placed outside the Bosphorus/Herakles gate yet was an extension of the Atlantic ocean/eau-cyan/Pontus Eu-xinus/Black Sea.

Atlantis ~ Eden = conflue(with flood)nce of the 4 rivers of DaN: -ube, -iepe, -ieste, -etz. Epic heroes of the deluge eg. Atrahasis, Manu, Deucalion, Ziusudra, Nachmizuli & Noah's place of origin presumably was there too.

darDaNelles/YareDaN-JorDaN
Franz Gnaedinger
2017-05-04 07:17:40 UTC
Post by d***@gmail.com
Thanks. I disagree with your conclusion that Plato's Atlantis could be anywhere, since it was placed outside the Bosphorus/Herakles gate yet was an extension of the Atlantic ocean/eau-cyan/Pontus Eu-xinus/Black Sea.
Atlantis ~ Eden = conflue(with flood)nce of the 4 rivers of DaN: -ube, -iepe, -ieste, -etz. Epic heroes of the deluge eg. Atrahasis, Manu, Deucalion, Ziusudra, Nachmizuli & Noah's place of origin presumably was there too.
darDaNelles/YareDaN-JorDaN
I don't understand you word or letter playing, but agree on Eurasia being
the first candiate for having been Atlantis. Eurasia has the required size
- lager than Africa, by then the name of Libya. There were elephants -
remains of mammoths are still occasionally found in Siberia. Rich in metals
- copper and tin are associated in mines of the Alai Mountains in Central
Asia.

In my opinion, 'Atlantis' was an oral epic of bards from the first Indo-
European homeland on the banks of the Amu Darya, centered in the triangle
of Termez and Kunduz and Kurgan T'upe, at the northern base of the Alai
Mountains, and of the second IE homeland in the Uralic steppes east of the
Rha Volga, and of the third IE homeland west of the Rha Volga. The ancient
name Rha of the Volga is akin to Rhea, mother of Zeus and Poseidon and Hades.

By the way, Atlantis and the Indo-European homeland have one feature in
common: both had been located anywhere between the North and South Poles ...
d***@gmail.com
2017-05-04 23:07:14 UTC
Your version is unrelated to mine. Thanks for responding.

DD'eDeN
d***@gmail.com
2017-05-19 15:33:40 UTC
Briefly, Atlantis describes a condition (Atlantic Marine post-glacial flood) not a country/city/island; its measurement includes the coastline around the Black Sea (largest Europe-Asian freshwater oasis) including the Crimean Peninsula "island"; the northern part of this was Eden, the confluence of the 4 rivers of Dan -

Eden/eDeN/aDaN/Adam(land) + Eve/even/level(sea)

Dan + Ube = DaNube
Dan + Ypr = DNieper
Dan + Ystr = DNiester
Dan + Ytz = DoNetz (TaNais per Herodotus)

Jason Colavito didn't like the tie-in of Jewish Creation myth with Atlantis, but they do indeed share the same origin location. Bosporus is found both near Dardanelles (JorDanHelles) and Kerch Strait (near Don & Crimea).

Simple.
DD'eDeN
d***@gmail.com
2017-05-23 17:57:28 UTC
Earliest hominin 7.2 teeth found in Thrace / Garden of eDeN during epoch drought

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0177347

Abstract

Dating fossil hominids and reconstructing their environments is critically important for understanding human evolution. Here we date the potentially oldest hominin, Graecopithecus freybergi from Europe and constrain the environmental conditions under which it thrived. For the Graecopithecus-bearing Pikermi Formation of Attica/Greece, a saline aeolian dust deposit of North African (Sahara) provenance, we obtain an age of 7.37–7.11 Ma, which is coeval with a dramatic cooling in the Mediterranean region at the Tortonian-Messinian transition. Palaeobotanic proxies demonstrate C4-grass dominated wooded grassland-to-woodland habitats of a savannah biome for the Pikermi Formation. Faunal turnover at the Tortonian-Messinian transition led to the spread of new mammalian taxa along with Graecopithecus into Europe. The type mandible of G. freybergi from Pyrgos (7.175 Ma) and the single tooth (7.24 Ma) from Azmaka (Bulgaria) represent the first hominids of Messinian age from continental Europe. Our results suggest that major splits in the hominid family occurred outside Africa.

The Late Miocene was a time of major hominine radiation (African apes and humans[1]), but when, where, and why lineages split is debated intensely[2, 3]. Recent discoveries[4] with potential hominin (humans and their non-ape ancestors) affinities[5] in Greece (Attica) and Bulgaria (Upper Thrace) raise questions about the age and origin of these candidate pre-humans and the environmental conditions under which they thrived in Europe. Exact dating of Graecopithecus and reconstruction of its habitats in Attica and Upper Thrace may, therefore, shed new light on the debate on hominin origins.

The type mandible of Graecopithecus freybergi was found in the Athens Basin of southern Attica near Pyrgos Vassilissis Amalias[6], an area that is today largely overbuilt by the rapidly growing Greek capital. To resolve the site stratigraphy it is necessary to study the adjacent Mesogea Basin, which preserves the famous bone accumulations of Pikermi, which have been excavated for nearly 180 years[7] and are displayed in museums worldwide. Both the Athens and the Mesogea basins developed during the Late Miocene by activation of a major detachment fault[8], which separates carbonates of the Internal Hellenides from Mesozoic metamorphic rocks (Fig 1). The thick continental basin deposits consists of coarse grained alluvial fan sediments (e.g. debris-flows) and palustrine and lacustrine sediments (coal, platy limestones; [9–11]), with deposition starting during the early Tortonian [12]. The second Graecopithecus fossil, a single tooth, derives from Upper Miocene sediments at Azmaka in the Upper Thrace Basin[4]. This basin is formed by Neogene extension [13] and is filled by the fluvial Ahmatovo Formation [4, 14–16], at the base of which the hominid tooth was found [4, 16]. Here we reconstruct environmental conditions from the two Graecopithecus-bearing sediment successions using grain-texture analysis, end-member modelling of grain-size distributions, geochemistry of soluble salts and provenance analysis of U-Pb ages of detrital zircons. We then provide age constraints on fossils and document environmental changes on the basis of combined bio-magnetostratigraphy and cyclostratigraphy. Furthermore, we analyse vegetation using phytoliths and palynology and discuss changes in large mammal associations to elucidate landscapes and the biogeography of this putative oldest hominin.
DD'eDeN
j***@gmail.com
2017-08-27 13:37:51 UTC
Post by d***@gmail.com
Your version is unrelated to mine. Thanks for responding.
DD'eDeN
I see you have read the hypothesis.
https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Atlantis/Location_Hypotheses
d***@gmail.com
2017-08-31 21:39:37 UTC
Post by d***@gmail.com
Your version is unrelated to mine. Thanks for responding.
DD'eDeN
I see you have read the hypothesis.
https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Atlantis/Location_Hypotheses
Which hypothesis? Yours? I saw that right here, it fails parsimony.

No other Hypothesis has linked the 4 DN rivers to Atlantis & Noah/Atrahasis/Manu/Nachmizulli/Ziusudra/Yima/Deucalion/Sisithros hero epics.
Mine does.
J.LyonLayden
2017-10-26 20:08:42 UTC
Whoa you mean Doug Weller's still around?

I figured he'd had a heart-attack when they announced neanderthal introgression, 7.5 foot Qang Dynasty giants, and Gunang Padang!

I have no idea how he survived the announcement that people domesticated taro 28,000 years ago in the Solomon Islands!

Sure figured he'd run and hide in fear of people digging up all his old posts!
d***@gmail.com
2017-10-28 19:17:22 UTC
j***@gmail.com
2017-05-18 20:16:56 UTC
To Dweller and Petrich.
Both Mr. Weller and Petrich are given expressed permission to
archive this post and repost it whenever they feel that it is
necessary.
"... the age of our civilization (Egyptian) ... is eight thousand
....quote omitted..............
and Europe until Etruria..."
Does this sound like Thera/Santorini?
Either we believe Plato or not. If we believe him, there was
an island named Atlantis about the place were Azores are today
11500 years ago. Or we do not believe and then we have no
knowledge of a possible Atlantis anywhere at any time.
Regardless of whether Thera is Atlantis and regardless of whether
a person believes that Plato told the truth or not, the considerable
amount of research that has been done concerning the geology,
volcanology, and oceanology of the Azores islands demonstrates
that the Azores islands were never a single island. They are very
much the same size and position today as they were 10,000 to 12,000
years ago (Saemundsson 1986, Moore 1992). Furthermore, numerous
cores taken and described by Huang et al. (1979) clearly demonstrate
that the Azores Platform, the undersea plateau on which the Azores
rests has always been submerged beneath 500 to 1,000 meters of
ocean.
The Islands
The Azores islands consist of stratovolcanoes created by the triple
plate junction between the Mid-Atlantic Ridge and the East Azore
Fracture Zone. Except for Sao Miguel and Teceira Islands which
consist of very closely space-coalesced volcanic cones, all of the
other islands consist of individual stratovolcanoes. Never at any
time were these islands connected to another island. These
volcanoes rise from a depth of 2,000 m to in one case, Pico
Island, to an elevation over 2,000 m. The oldest known
rocks exposed at the surface range in age from 4.0 to 4.5 million
years B.P. Generally the subaerial parts of the islands consist
of volcanics ranging in age from 700,000 to 100,000 B.P.
veneered by volcanics erupted during last thousand years to
modern times. All of the geological mapping, offshore
multichannel seismic, deep onshore geothermal coring
investigations, deepsea cores, and other geologic research
clearly show that these islands were always separate islands
created by the upward building of individual stratovolcanoes
throughout at least the last 15 million years. In summary,
there is an absolute lack of any evidence for the Azores
having ever been a single island and overwhelming
evidence against such an island having ever existed
(Saemundsson 1986).
It should be noted that of all of the Azores, only on Furnas
Volcano which forms only a third of Sao Miguel Island, have
volcanic deposits dating between 10,000 to 12000 B.P. been
recognized (Moore 1992). Elsewhere, this interval is represented
by paloesols, entrenched valleys, and subaerial unconformities
indicative of a lack of any catastrophic volcanic or any other
activity. There is absolutely a lack of any evidence for a regional
Azores catastrophe in the outcropping strata for the period between
10,000 to 12,000 B.P.
The Cores
Volcanic ashes and microfossils within the cores collected by Huang
et al. (1979) clearly indicate that the Azores Plateau existed as a
subsea (1000 - 1500 meters deep) plateau as far back as middle
Miocene (15 million B.P.). Since that period of time it has built
upward as individual volcanos built their separate islands
(Saemundsson 1986). These cores faithfully record the ashfall
from numerous volcanic eruptions. Although there are clear evidence
for cataclysmic caldera eruptions at 33,600 and 125,000 years ago
and two slightly smaller eruptions sometime within that interval,
e is a complete lack of any evidence for any catastrophic
events happening after 33,600, except for normal volcanic activity
(Huang et al. 1979).
These cores disprove Azores having been a single island in two ways.
First, if the Azores were blasted from a single island between 10,000
to 13,000 B.P., then the Pleistocene sediments recovered from Cores
1, 2, 33, 34, 35, 36, and 37 should not exist. However, these cores,
which lie between individual islands or on the Azores Plateau, all
recovered oceanic deepsea sediments older than 1 million years.
Finally, the cores taken within a 100 to 150 km of the Azores
should contain a layer of debris blasted from the Azores
about 10,000 to 13,000 B.P. if the cataclysmic catastrophe that you
claimed occurred actually happened. Anybody who takes the time
and trouble to read through Huang et al. (1979) will find that
evidence for such a catastrophe is lacking, although older caldera
eruptions have been faithfully recorded. Thus, there exists
considerable evidence that proves Mr. Nimora's hypothesis
that the Azores once consisted of a single island destroyed
by a catastrophe about 10,000 to 12,000 B.P. is incorrect and
unsalvageable.
People might have other ideas of where Atlantis might be located,
but a simple review of the available geological research clearly
indicates that the Azores cannot be one of them. To keep insisting
that the Azores Islands were once Atlantis is ignore the geological
data that clearly falsifies this hypothesis. Mr. Niroma and others
may disagree with Dr. Pellegrino, but unlike them, he has at least
taken the time to make sure that his hypothesis is consistent with
the known geological facts.
References cited;
Huang, T. C., Watkins, N. D., and Wilson, L., 1979, Deep-sea
tephra from the Azores during the past 300,000 years: eruptive
cloud height and ash volume estimates. Geological Society of
America Bulletin, Part II, pp. 235-288.
Moore, Richard B., 1991, Geology of Three Late Quaternary
Stratovolcanoes on Sao Miguel, Azores. U.S. Geological
Survey Bulletin 1900, 46 pp.
Saemundsson 1986, Chapter 5, Subaerial volcanism in the
western Atlantic. In The Western North Atlantic Region, The
Geology of North America, R. T. Vogt and B. E., Tucholke,
pp. 69-86, Vol. M, The Geology of North America, Geological
Society of America, Boulder, Colorado.
NOTE: I personally apologize to the Portuguese of the Azores for
not including proper umlauts, accents, and other such symbols used
to properly spell words and names in their language. However,
at this time, my ignorance of computers prevents me from finding
a way of posting these characters that are an essential part and
parcel of their language.
Sincerely Yours;
Darby South
Baton Rouge, LA 70808
Stewart's Rule of Thumb
Nothing is too weird for most people to believe, including
myself and yourself, if it supports something they want to
believe.
Were The Azores Atlantis?

Garner's Rule of Science

If science could not accept new ideas and if we still keep the bonds of gradualism to combat religious-like belief then a new hypothesis cannot stand a chance.

Were the Azores Atlantis 12,000 years ago, 9000 years before Plato?

YOU DECIDE...

https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Atlantis/Location_Hypotheses
Eric Stevens
2017-05-18 22:49:22 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
[...]
Hypothesis piled upon hypothesis supported by might-be and wishful
thinking. 30 seconds with Google Earth will dispel the fumes.

Besides, an island in the vicinity of the Azores cannot be made to fit
the story.
--
Regards,

Eric Stevens
The Newest Other Guy
2017-05-18 22:58:30 UTC
Post by Eric Stevens
Hypothesis piled upon hypothesis supported by might-be and wishful
thinking. 30 seconds with Google Earth will dispel the fumes.
Besides, an island in the vicinity of the Azores cannot be made to fit
the story.
Atlantis was clearly Thera/Santorini.

Totally matches, INCLUDING date, if you accept
the premise of the error of translating 900 into
9000 (years).
Eric Stevens
2017-05-19 03:34:26 UTC
On Thu, 18 May 2017 15:58:30 -0700, The Newest Other Guy
Post by The Newest Other Guy
Post by Eric Stevens
Hypothesis piled upon hypothesis supported by might-be and wishful
thinking. 30 seconds with Google Earth will dispel the fumes.
Besides, an island in the vicinity of the Azores cannot be made to fit
the story.
Atlantis was clearly Thera/Santorini.
Totally matches, INCLUDING date, if you accept
the premise of the error of translating 900 into
9000 (years).
But were they 9000 solar years or 9000 lunar months. There is
precedent for claiming the latter, especially in a tale told by an
Egyptian of the time.
--
Regards,

Eric Stevens
j***@gmail.com
2017-08-27 13:36:37 UTC
Post by The Newest Other Guy
Post by Eric Stevens
Hypothesis piled upon hypothesis supported by might-be and wishful
thinking. 30 seconds with Google Earth will dispel the fumes.
Besides, an island in the vicinity of the Azores cannot be made to fit
the story.
Atlantis was clearly Thera/Santorini.
Totally matches, INCLUDING date, if you accept
the premise of the error of translating 900 into
9000 (years).
But were they 9000 solar years or 9000 lunar months. There is
precedent for claiming the latter, especially in a tale told by an
Egyptian of the time.
--
Regards,
Eric Stevens
Except Critias and Timaeus were written down by Plato. So you are claiming that Plato was mathematically illiterate? Better read some more. But this time, follow the footnotes.

https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Atlantis/Location_Hypotheses
Eric Stevens
2017-08-27 22:36:37 UTC
Post by The Newest Other Guy
Post by Eric Stevens
Hypothesis piled upon hypothesis supported by might-be and wishful
thinking. 30 seconds with Google Earth will dispel the fumes.
Besides, an island in the vicinity of the Azores cannot be made to fit
the story.
Atlantis was clearly Thera/Santorini.
Totally matches, INCLUDING date, if you accept
the premise of the error of translating 900 into
9000 (years).
But were they 9000 solar years or 9000 lunar months. There is
precedent for claiming the latter, especially in a tale told by an
Egyptian of the time.
--
Regards,
Eric Stevens
Except Critias and Timaeus were written down by Plato. So you are claiming that Plato was mathematically illiterate?
I'm claiming Plato may have written down what he was told and expected
educated people to understand the Egyptian calender.

Eric Stevens
Eric Stevens
2017-08-28 03:49:38 UTC
On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 10:36:37 +1200, Eric Stevens
Post by Eric Stevens
Post by The Newest Other Guy
Post by Eric Stevens
[...]
There is another point. I don't know what Plato originally wrote. All
we know is what his translators (and transcribers) wrote. It would not
be at all surprising if somewhere along the line the term for Egyptian
lunar months became transcribed as Greek years.

Eric Stevens
Franz Gnaedinger
2017-05-19 06:58:06 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
Were The Azores Atlantis?
Atlantis was larger than Libya, which was the Ancient Greek name for Africa,
and there were elephants, and plenty of metals. How large are the Azores,
where are the elephants, and where the rich mines?
Franz Gnaedinger
2017-05-20 07:18:04 UTC
Post by Franz Gnaedinger
Post by j***@gmail.com
Were The Azores Atlantis?
Atlantis was larger than Libya, which was the Ancient Greek name for Africa,
and there were elephants, and plenty of metals. How large are the Azores,
where are the elephants, and where the rich mines?
Actually, Atlantis was larger than Libya (Africa as known to the Greeks)
and Asia (Asia Minor) together. If the Middle Atlantic Ridge (or how it's
called in English) had been Atlantis, the Azores were the highest and holiest
mountains, abode of Zeus. Not very long ago remains of a temple and seal
devoted to the Lycaian Zeus had been discovered on top of Mount Lycaion
from where one has a breath-taking view over the Peloponnese. Anything
like that on the Azores?
j***@gmail.com
2017-08-27 13:38:15 UTC
Post by Franz Gnaedinger
Post by Franz Gnaedinger
Post by j***@gmail.com
Were The Azores Atlantis?
Atlantis was larger than Libya, which was the Ancient Greek name for Africa,
and there were elephants, and plenty of metals. How large are the Azores,
where are the elephants, and where the rich mines?
Actually, Atlantis was larger than Libya (Africa as known to the Greeks)
and Asia (Asia Minor) together. If the Middle Atlantic Ridge (or how it's
called in English) had been Atlantis, the Azores were the highest and holiest
mountains, abode of Zeus. Not very long ago remains of a temple and seal
devoted to the Lycaian Zeus had been discovered on top of Mount Lycaion
from where one has a breath-taking view over the Peloponnese. Anything
like that on the Azores?
Yes, read the hypothesis.

https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Atlantis/Location_Hypotheses
Franz Gnaedinger
2017-08-29 06:35:02 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
Yes, read the hypothesis.
https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Atlantis/Location_Hypotheses
Zeus resided on the top of the mountain of Atlantis. Remains of a temple
of the Lycaion Zeus (mentioned on the Phaistos Disc as deciphered by Derk
Ohlenroth) and a seal cut from a gem have quite recently been discovered
on top of Mount Lycaion from where one has a breath-taking view over the
entire Peloponnese. If a similar ruin of a temple and a seal or something
comparable had been found on top of the highest mountain of the Azores,
why don't you simply and proudly tell us?
j***@gmail.com
I would also like to know how many of you have connections to the digs in Santorini/Thera?
j***@gmail.com
2017-08-27 13:47:44 UTC
[...]
See the following...

https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Atlantis/Location_Hypotheses#NORTH_WEST_AFRICAN_CONTINENTAL_SHELVES_.28this_entire_excellent_section_was_created_by_Marshallsumter.29