Alignment of Egyptian Pyramids Solved?
Horace LaBadie
2018-02-21 17:48:07 UTC
The (almost) perfect alignment of the major Giza pyramids to the
cardinal points could have been achieved by a simple means.

<https://www.mnn.com/lifestyle/arts-culture/stories/mystery-pyramids-alig
nment-finally-solved-incredibly-simple-shadow-trick?google_editors_picks=
true>

"It's impressive, close to perfect. But, as Dash also points out, not
exactly perfect. In fact, the pyramids' alignments all suspiciously err
to exactly the same degree. "All three pyramids exhibit the same manner
of error; they are rotated slightly counterclockwise from the cardinal
points," he added.

And this consistent error, Dash believes, might just provide the clue
that finally solves the mystery of how these alignments were made. In
fact, he and his team have devised a method that can achieve the same
precision ‹ and, tellingly, the same degree of error ‹ found in the
pyramids using nothing more than a simple rod-and-shadow trick.

The method, using just a rod and a string, relies on the shadows
generated during the autumnal equinox, the moment when the plane of
Earth's equator passes through the center of the sun's disc."
Eric Stevens
2018-02-21 21:18:12 UTC
On Wed, 21 Feb 2018 12:48:07 -0500, Horace LaBadie
Post by Horace LaBadie
[...]
The problem with the rod-and-shadow technique is that it is only as
acurate as the surface on which the shadow is cast. If this is not
perfectly level then locus of the curve traced out by the shadow is
distorted.

This very same problem was discussed at great length in this news
group some 20 odd years ago.
--
Regards,

Eric Stevens
Franz Gnaedinger
2018-03-09 08:08:25 UTC
Post by Eric Stevens
This very same problem was discussed at great length in this news
group some 20 odd years ago.
--
Yes, mainly by me, and the result was compiled in the Egypt chapters of my
website, specifically here

http://www.seshat.ch/home/Egypt3.htm

The simple methods proposed by Lehner et al. will never work on the large
scale of a real pyramid, only ever for small versions like the NOVA pyramid.
The problem is always the same: denying any mathematical knowledge of Ancient
Egypt, only allowing simplistic one-step methods, never methods that require
more steps and are based on theoretical knowledge.
Eric Stevens
2018-03-09 22:57:47 UTC
On Fri, 9 Mar 2018 00:08:25 -0800 (PST), Franz Gnaedinger
Post by Franz Gnaedinger
Post by Eric Stevens
This very same problem was discussed at great length in this news
group some 20 odd years ago.
--
Yes, mainly by me, and the result was compiled in the Egypt chapters of my
website, specifically here
http://www.seshat.ch/home/Egypt3.htm
"The requested URL was not found on this server. If you entered the
URL manually please check your spelling and try again."
Post by Franz Gnaedinger
http://www.seshat.ch/home/base.GIF
The simple methods proposed by Lehner et al. will never work on the large
scale of a real pyramid, only ever for small versions like the NOVA pyramid.
The problem is always the same: denying any mathematical knowledge of Ancient
Egypt, only allowing simplistic one-step methods, never methods that require
more steps and are based on theoretical knowledge.
Certainly the alignment and the layout of the foundations required
much precision work and a more than basic understanding of what we now
call 'surveying'.
--
Regards,

Eric Stevens
Franz Gnaedinger
2018-03-10 09:16:30 UTC
Post by Eric Stevens
"The requested URL was not found on this server. If you entered the
URL manually please check your spelling and try again."
Certainly the alignment and the layout of the foundations required
much precision work and a more than basic understanding of what we now
call 'surveying'.
Sorry for the bad link. Here the correct one, scroll down to chapter 12,
How the Big Pyramid was Built

http://www.seshat.ch/home/egypt3.htm

The drawing explains the text: how to align the pyramid and measure out
the base around the big limestone hill to the almost hallucinatory precision
reported by Rainer Stadelmann, responsible for the pyramids before Zahi Hawass
took over.
Peter Jason
But how did they build the pyramids?
Franz Gnaedinger
2018-03-16 08:05:36 UTC
Post by Peter Jason
But how did they build the pyramids?
I tell that in the Egypt chapters on my website

http://www.seshat.ch/home/egypt1.htm
http://www.seshat.ch/home/egypt2.htm
http://www.seshat.ch/home/egypt3.htm
http://www.seshat.ch/home/egypt4.htm

I can't repeat all in here, but I could answer a more specific question.