Strontium isotopes identify Welsh remains at Stonehenge
Horace LaBadie
2018-08-02 18:10:30 UTC
A new study of cremated bone fragments from Stonehenge shows that some
of them originated in Wales, source of the bluestones.

<https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-28969-8>

Abstract
"Cremated human remains from Stonehenge provide direct evidence on the
life of those few select individuals buried at this iconic Neolithic
monument. The practice of cremation has, however, precluded the
application of strontium isotope analysis of tooth enamel as the
standard chemical approach to study their origin. New developments in
strontium isotopic analysis of cremated bone reveal that at least 10 of
the 25 cremated individuals analysed did not spend their lives on the
Wessex chalk on which the monument is found. Combined with the
archaeological evidence, we suggest that their most plausible origin
lies in west Wales, the source of the bluestones erected in the early
stage of the monument¹s construction. These results emphasise the
importance of inter-regional connections involving the movement of both
materials and people in the construction and use of Stonehenge."
JTEM
2018-08-02 21:17:06 UTC
Post by Horace LaBadie
A new study of cremated bone fragments from Stonehenge shows that some
of them originated in Wales, source of the bluestones.
I wonder.

I mean, does this suggest that they were sacrificed?
That, maybe they were part of the "Booty" taken
along with the stone?

Did the people not see themselves divided as we do?

Are they just plain wrong about the isotopic analysis?

-- --

http://jtem.tumblr.com/post/176558917215
Horace LaBadie
2018-08-03 00:57:55 UTC
Post by JTEM
I mean, does this suggest that they were sacrificed?
That, maybe they were part of the "Booty" taken
along with the stone?
"Finally, the results suggest that at least some ‘non-local’ individuals
were cremated away from Stonehenge, and that their cremated remains were
brought to the site for burial, perhaps in conjunction with the raising
of the bluestones. This is particularly compelling in light of the
recent suggestion that the bluestones originally stood in the Aubrey
Holes in which most of the cremations were found1."
JTEM
2018-08-03 03:18:32 UTC
"Finally, the results suggest that at least some ‘non-local’ individuals
were cremated away from Stonehenge, and that their cremated remains were
brought to the site for burial, perhaps in conjunction with the raising
of the bluestones. This is particularly compelling in light of the
recent suggestion that the bluestones originally stood in the Aubrey
Holes in which most of the cremations were found1."
This doesn't answer any of my questions.

-- --

http://jtem.tumblr.com/post/176569802268
Horace LaBadie
2018-08-03 04:52:36 UTC
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by JTEM
I mean, does this suggest that they were sacrificed?
That, maybe they were part of the "Booty" taken
along with the stone?
"Finally, the results suggest that at least some ‘non-local’ individuals
were cremated away from Stonehenge, and that their cremated remains were
brought to the site for burial, perhaps in conjunction with the raising
of the bluestones. This is particularly compelling in light of the
recent suggestion that the bluestones originally stood in the Aubrey
Holes in which most of the cremations were found1."
"Snoeck said he doubts that the people were cremated near Wiltshire. The
archaeologists who first excavated the Aubrey holes identified
impressions of organic containers ‹ leather bags, probably ‹ in the
soil. It's more likely that travelers carried their deceased to this
place, placing them to rest miles from home."

<https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2018/08/02/pe
ople-buried-at-stonehenge-5000-years-ago-came-from-far-away-study-finds/?
utm_term=.fdba4d1c37ea>
JTEM
2018-08-03 06:48:01 UTC
Post by Horace LaBadie
"Snoeck said he doubts that the people were cremated near Wiltshire. The
archaeologists who first excavated the Aubrey holes identified
impressions of organic containers ‹ leather bags, probably ‹ in the
soil. It's more likely that travelers carried their deceased to this
place, placing them to rest miles from home."
That supports the ruling out of two of the four
questions.

-- --

http://jtem.tumblr.com/post/176558917215
George 152
2018-08-05 20:11:11 UTC
Post by JTEM
Post by Horace LaBadie
A new study of cremated bone fragments from Stonehenge shows that some
of them originated in Wales, source of the bluestones.
I wonder.
I mean, does this suggest that they were sacrificed?
That, maybe they were part of the "Booty" taken
along with the stone?
Did the people not see themselves divided as we do?
Are they just plain wrong about the isotopic analysis?
Evidently the site was used as a cemetary and nobles ashes (who died in
other places at other times) were interred at festivals

---